Friday, August 12, 2011

Slow Cooker Lemon-Garlic Cornish Hen



This recipe is my first "original creation" for this blog! When I bought the cornish hen, I originally intended to grill it, but that day turned out to be stormy...not so great for grilling. So I decided to cook it in the slow cooker instead. I used my trusty 2 1/2 qt slow cooker, which is perfect for two people, and doesn't heat up the kitchen like the stove or oven.

Slow Cooker Lemon-Garlic Cornish Hen

1 cornish game hen, giblets discarded (mine was 20 oz raw weight)
3-4 medium red potatoes, quartered
1 small onion, halved
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
fresh lemon with peel, quartered

Place potatoes in bottom of 2 1/2- or 3-quart slow cooker. Take one half of onion and separate layers, spreading over potatoes. Mix spices together and rub all over inside and outside of hen, getting between the meat and skin as much as you can. Put remaining half of onion and one lemon quarter inside cavity. Place hen on top of potatoes in slow cooker. Cook on high 3-4 hours or low 6-8, or until meat is cooked through. Remove skin before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment