Monday, September 12, 2011

Tex Mex Summer Squash Casserole



I found this recipe while looking for a vegetarian casserole for my "Meatless Monday." Since I had a couple of large zucchini from the farmer's market waiting to be used up, I decided to give it a go. I cut the original recipe in half and modified the serving size to fit the needs of our two-person family. If you are feeding more than 4 people or you have big appetites, you'll want to double the recipe. In the interest of full disclosure, I used 2% cheese when I made this because I needed to use some up before it went bad. If you use fat free cheddar instead, the only non-power food to worry about is the flour, which isn't enough to bother counting unless you eat the whole casserole. ;)

It turned out delicious, with the green chiles adding more flavor than heat; just the way I like it! Another good addition might be some drained & rinsed black beans to up the fiber & protein a bit. It was fairly filling as written though.

Tex Mex Summer Squash Casserole

Adapted from EatingWell.com

1 1/4 lbs zucchini or summer squash, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
4 oz can green chiles
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup plus 2 tbsp sharp cheddar cheese, divided (fat free)
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 cup mild salsa

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, combine squash, onion, chiles, salt, and 1/2 cup cheese. Sprinkle flour over top and toss to coat. Transfer mixture to 8x8" casserole dish coated with cooking spray and cover with foil. Bake 35-45 minutes or until squash is done and casserole is bubbling. Spoon salsa over top, cover with remaining cheese and bake, uncovered, until golden and heated through, about 20-30 minutes. Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment