Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Sugar Free Strawberry Jam



I love to start my mornings off with some toast or an English muffin and some jam. But I hate spending my weekly points on jam. So, I solved the problem with Ball's Low or No Sugar Added Pectin and 2 lbs of strawberries. You can use several different fruits, and depending on their sweetness you may not need anything at all. But you can also sweeten with sugar substitute if needed.

After the jam is made, you can either store it in the fridge to enjoy over the next 3 weeks, or process it in a waterbath canner to store for later. For the purpose of simplicity, I am going to post this recipe in the "single batch" that should make about 16 oz of jam. I doubled it, and canned all but one jar.

Homemade Sugar Free Strawberry Jam

2 cups hulled & crushed strawberries (about 1 lb as purchased)
1/3 cup water
1 1/2 tbsp Ball Low or No Sugar Pectin
1/3 cup granulated Splenda

Crush strawberries in a single layer with a potato masher. (I put them in a large glass casserole dish for this.) Combine fruit with water in a saucepan and gradually stir in the pectin. Bring to a rolling boil that cannot be stirred down over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in Splenda and continue stirring. Return to boil and boil hard 1 minute. Remove from heat and ladle into hot jar(s). Refrigerate until set. Enjoy!

It only took my refrigerated jar an hour or two to set. For the other jars, I processed them in a waterbath canner for 10 minutes. The detailed canning instructions are on the label for the pectin if you are interested in doing this.

Source: Ball Low or No Sugar Pectin package

No comments:

Post a Comment